Thursday, July 07, 2005

It's another one of those days for me. Rushing from one task to another. People taking more time than I planned for. People dropping in for visits, tasks to keep me occupied. Mental head as far as getting things I needed at the shops. I know it has something to do with lack of sleep. I'm far more productive when I've had my dose of at least six hours. I can survive on that much every night. Seven is better, but it makes no difference if I have more. Broken sleep is not conducive to a productive day, either. And then my body let me down, just when I don't want it to.

It all sounds like an excuse for having no prompt or anything else to write about. Some days are just too much for me. It's a fact I've learnt to roll with. Okay, I haven't worked on any assignments or even my goals all this week, but life can be like that for me. I know I'll get my good days and that's when I'll produce enough work to astound even myself. Just getting through the day felt like trying to push through rice paper. I had two episodes of this recurring upper abdomen pain, too. Painkillers sorted it out, but they left me feeling not in touch with reality and air-headed. I only just finished eating dinner half an hour ago and sat down wondering what to write.

I pawed through The Writer's Idea Workshop by Jack Heffron with thick, awkward fingers. But still felt I had no idea and gave up. I really should read that book. I flipped the pages of Good Taste magazine, but the photos of dishes just made me feel annoyed. Do these people live the same way I do and have the same budget? Almost every dish has prawns (shrimp for my US readers) curled seductive and fat amid various coloured sauces, rice and/or noodles. Nothing there inspired me to write.

I sat and thought about the two fun things that happened this week to do with writing and rewards. Okay, to be fair only one of those involved a financial reward, but the other still made me feel good. That's a reward in my book.

On Friday I spent some time at the library and read an article in a magazine I love; Good Reading. In this article I came across a word that didn't sit well with me. Surely the writer had used the wrong word, my first instinct told me. I checked the dictionary for the word used in the article and couldn't find it anywhere. dictionary.com provided the answer I needed. Yes, the meaning I imagined was correct, yet could I be wrong about the way the writer used it? It annoyed me all evening and finally I bounced it off hubby. He's no wordsmith, but he's learnt to appreciate my interest. he agreed it couldn't be right.

I wrote the editor an email, but didn't do so until Sunday afternoon. That same afternoon I'd treated the family to Cadbury Flake ice creams and much to our dismay only two of them actually had the chocolate Flakes inside. This fuelled me to sit and write a couple of emails; one to Cadbury, who made it easy with a lovely little form to fill in online, and the other email to the editor of Good Reading. That done, I felt a lot better and promptly forgot about the whole business.

Monday on checking my email my eyes lit up at the sight of a reply from the editor. Indeed my sharp eyes were correct and their writer had made a mistake. I received a lovely email from her and replied with thanks.

On Wednesday morning the only letter arrived from the ice-cream producers with an apology, a thanks for letting them know and two $5 vouchers for the store where I shop most often. Okay, not directly from writing, but an indirect writing blessing. It made me feel good to know I did these things because I write. Nothing much tonight, but enough to fill the screen and pass the time.

2 Comments:

At 10:23 pm, Blogger dawn said...

Sorry to read you're out of sorts. At least you're still writing! :-)

Good for you for writing those letters, too. Sometimes it feels good just releasing our annoyance to the ink on the paper...anything received beyond that is gravy! :-)

 
At 2:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Writing complaint letters is something my mother does well - she not only gets rewards for this but provides a potentially better service for the next person. Just think - the letter you wrote may bring happiness to someone you will never meet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home