Monday, June 27, 2005

What makes your soul sing?

The scent of the ocean, the taste of its salt on my lips, the briny breeze lifting the curls off my brow, the sound of babies laughing as shore waves splash and roll over their stubby bodies, the roar of the waves on the shore, the sliding cool sands that grows warm as I dig in my toes, the tightness of my skin as the water dries on my cheeks and shoulders, the sunlight beading on wave lips as they crest and froth before they curl and crash along the golden shore, the heat on my face as the orange sun sinks into the blue horizon, the memories of my father teaching me to swim.

My soul sings when I connect with music, that moment when you hear a lyric and sing at the same pitch. Your voice and the singer's melody disappear and there is only one sound. You know you've tuned into the sound of their voice. You've done something incredible, stretched and grown in your vocal skills. My soul sings when I hear a line that speaks to me beyond mere words. When the lyricist knew what I was thinking when they penned that line. My soul sings when I worship in church along with the band and the choir. When I feel the connection made and drift into my own nothingness and God is everything.

My soul sings when I say something the right way and hubby understands. When he smiles at me and I see that line above the corner of his mouth, the part that's usually hidden in his moustache. I see the light of understanding in his eyes and we know so much more about each other than simply who we are. We have become one and feel the melding of our spirits.

My soul sings when I write words that take on a life of their own. I toss them onto paper of screen and they are no longer my own. The words sing a song of joy, or learning, of laughter, of peace, of knowledge, of passion or tears.

My soul sings when I touch my baby's face while he lays in my arms feeding, his eyes closed and fingers curled around my thumb. My soul sings when I spend time chatting with my teens, when we laugh and cry and grow together.

My soul sings when I spend time with my mother. We chat through the internet on messenger. My soul sings because she gave me the gift of literature. We speak about books, about kids, about the things that matter. My soul sings when I read books and articles that speak to me. I read for information, but my soul hungers after words that inspire. My soul sings when I scrawl ink over the pages of my journal.

I lost track of time then, but was interrupted by my big son. Oh well, that will do for tonight.

2 Comments:

At 10:19 pm, Blogger dawn said...

Sounds like your soul sings often. Thanks for sharing these!

 
At 11:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear that on the ocean. Okay going to do mine now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home