Thursday, June 23, 2005

Ten minutes. Okay, the clock has started. Pen on Fire by Barbara DeMarco-Barrett, rocketed onto the Los Angeles Times bestseller list in three weeks. Although aimed at writing mothers anyone with limited time might find inspiration in this easy to read book. The short chapters are ideal for reading while breastfeeding the baby, or while waiting in the car to collect children from school. Each chapter ends with an easy to achieve fifteen minute exercise. These are challenging and thought provoking.

The fifteen minute rule is something DeMarco-Barrett promotes and practices herself. Anyone can find fifteen minutes in their day to free-write, make lists or outline stories and articles. Taking advantage of these short spots of time we can achieve any writing goal we desire. Peppered liberally with quotes from bestselling novelists and successful journalists Pen on Fire gives a sense of intimacy with their shared secrets, fears and methods.

Not only time management, but all aspects of the writing life feature throughout the book. Although I've yet to complete my first reading, this book would make a welcome addition to my library of writing resources. At only half way through the information already fuels my desire to write more on a wide variety of topics. Personal favourites so far are the chapters on stolen moments, create a written snapshot, expose yourself, celebrate your otherness, words can be so powerful, and beads of sweat... or pleasure.

I'm looking forward to finishing this book. It's easy to prop open and scan the brief chapters and think about the exercise. I may use some for this blog in the next week or so.

My only criticism so far is her seemingly simplistic approach to dealing with children, not that I’ve read a specific chapter on it, yet. But with only one child to care for I hardly feel she qualifies to know just how busy life for women with several children really is. But I’m open to seeing what she says as the book progresses. Check out her website: http://www.barbarademarcobarrett.com

Anyway it's late now. Hubby and son are arguing, again, and I'd rather be sleeping, but I want to post this online now. I wonder if the tiredness shows in my writing.



2 Comments:

At 5:15 am, Blogger dawn said...

I didn't notice you sounding tired at all! :-) How do you write so much--and so well--in only 10 minutes? Excellent review, btw...makes me want to give the book a try.

 
At 7:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'll have to look this book up the next time I have the chance. It sounds like it would be very useful.
Joanna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home