Friday, June 17, 2005

Write - what do you like to write?

What I like to write is stuff that comes up from deep within me and I don't even seem to own it. I don't always understand the process or what it means, but I know there's this flow or zone I can get into when I'm writing and I just don't feel I'm on the planet anymore.

I get this way with fiction or non-fiction. I've been there with journal writing, too. I can sit and write and at some point look up and feel like I'm coming up for air or that I've been travelling through space and time. I put down my pen or sit back from the keyboard and exhale. Sometimes hours have gone and I haven't even been aware of them. Other times I can sit and notice the seconds ticking beside me on the old-style clock on the wall. I can't tell where those moments are when I reread the text, though, so it's just a preference because I enjoy being in the zone more than I do the endurance of pecking out each word or thought as it comes to me.

Fiction holds a special place for me, though. There's something about making up characters and just waiting for their life to flesh out. The more I think about them the more real they become. Their motives don't always come straight away, but soon I do know why they do the things they do. If I sit and ponder on them, scrawl away in my journal, or the special ones I make for each novel I write, they seem to clear in my mind like fine-tuning the radio until it receives a clearer picture.

One thing I like to do when planning a novel is to just sit, with my specific journal, and write and write about the characters. I've had the best ideas just doing this. I get right into their minds and hearts and find myself weeping at times when I learn new things about them. I love the way characters can still surprise you, even when you feel you know them so intimately, when you sit down to work on the novel. I love the planning stage because everything is like Play Doh. The ideas are just there to shape and ply the way I feel. I can change my mind and change their lives, but only when I have unearthed more specific information about them. At times I feel perhaps I am led, but I do not embrace the idea of channelling. I suppose this means I believe in character driven novels. I do enjoy those kinds of novels to read, but still knock back a plot-driven tale when the mood strikes me.

I enjoy writing personal stuff, too. Maybe that's already evident. I've had personal essays published. One in particular in Chocolate for a Woman's Courage. Check out Chocolate for Women for more info. Kay Allenbaugh is a great editor to work with. She really wants your essay to be the best it can be. I suppose for writers the most easily accessible resource we have is our own life experience. I regularly mine my life for subjects to write about. But, my time is up for tonight. I'm tired after a long and trying day with the bubby. He refused to sleep other than in the car, but is thankfully slumbering away in his cot now.

4 Comments:

At 9:10 pm, Blogger dawn said...

Okay, now I want to write fiction! I love how you describe getting caught up in your characters. I wonder, if I WERE to try writing a story, would I get just as involved? I'm a little afraid to find out. Writing nonfiction just seems so much...safer.

Your blog is dangerous for me, Heather!! You make me actually consider extending myself beyond my comfort zone. That's scary, but good.

 
At 11:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know lately I've been wanting to try to step out on a ledge and write some stuff I'm truely passionate about but not sure if I should. Ever feel like that? It's those controversial issues, but not sure if I'd even find a market for them but it would be sooooooo theraputic (sp).

Reading your blog has made me step a wee bit closer to that edge. lol. Now where's that push, haha.

 
At 7:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally relate. That zone is where I like to be too. It usually takes me quite a bit of time to get there, so it has really only happened a couple of times, and not at all recently. But just the memory has me striving to get back.

I am also so in awe that you are able to write with a baby.
I guess I used to in school, but it wasn't fiction and I don't remember how! I can't even imagine...
Uh, oh. Now I'm getting baby envy!
:)
Give him a kiss on the top of his sweet little head from his Auntie Bets.

 
At 8:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the planning stage as well, you get to learn so much more about your characters and see where they succeed and were they might fail, their strength and weakness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home