Thursday, June 09, 2005

The baby was refusing to follow the normal pattern we've set down for night time. It was time to insist. Usually such a simple child to deal with each night I wasn't sure what to do. I certainly didn't respond. Even though the cutesy smiles and talking were hard to resist. But resist I did. Right now I'm letting him have a little cry. There's nothing else to be done for him, so what else is left? I'm not letting him change the rules. I'm not forgetting who's in charge here. Already I cannot hear the cries. He's probably tuned into the sound of Picnic Time for Teddy Bears. Is that what the song is actually called?

In about ten minutes I'll need to collect my eldest child from work. Weird to have one just turned 17 and another not even five whole months old, yet. It wasn't how I planned things, but then what in life really goes according to plan? I continue to hear the words John Lennon immortalised when he sang, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." Those words sound now a strong pattern into my soul. No, I didn't plan to have a child so long after the other two, but now I couldn't imagine life without my little gift. He has his moments, like any child, like now. But he is special in some way the other two simply aren't. Even they are aware of it. They take it in their stride when strangers stop and want to stoop to see the smile on the baby's face. Hardened faces soften when their eyes light on the blue eyes of my little son. I'm not sure yet for what purpose he is here and at this time, but I know he has one. We all do, yet mine may simply be to support and nuture, though there's nothing simple about those jobs. The less seen a calling the less society assigns it value. But without mothers we won't learn caring or sensititivity. Without mothers the world will lose it's purpose. Mothers, doing their jobs properly, can shape and mould the heart of a child. I would never believed myself to be saying such things, but my mother shaped me more than I ever knew. Not at least until I was far older, wiser, a mother myself.

There's another saying, "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." I don't know who said that, but will endeavour to search it out tonight online. Words so powerful they've fallen into the dust of cliche in our daily language. But many profound things are actually quite simple to speak, or see or hear. To appreciate them takes thought, pondering, imaginings and a large dollop of gratefulness.

I need to go now and collect my daughter. Perhaps there will be time for more musings, but I won't be disappointed if there's none. I've done what I sat here to achieve. Time to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home