Wednesday, June 15, 2005

So, purely hypothetically, what's your ideal?

My ideal is to bring my WIP to a publishable standard; to revise my non-fiction book and get it up on Lulu.com; to write for two hours each morning and another hour in the afternoon; to have a few non-fiction articles accepted for publication before Christmas; and to enter a handful of national short story competitions.

How far can you be towards it by bootcamp's end?

By the end of the 13 weeks (is it that long or is my memory serving me incorrectly?) I can have the non-fiction book revised and ready to work with on Lulu.com; have the query letters written for the articles I want to write; send the query letters onto the editors I have in mind; research and list the national short story comps I want to enter; and get two hours writing done each morning.

And why would it be purely hypothetical (list your obstacles) :)

This is all hypothetical because I have a husband whose working hours are all over the place. He doesn’t actually work, but this is work experience for the course he did all this semester. If he had something regular I know I could schedule my day around that. There’s also the baby. Right now he’s under the desk and I’m rocking him in a bouncee as I write this. He’s got that whinging thing going on. I can write with him doing that, but it’s not easy to concentrate. Hubby, sitting behind me at the other computer, gets frustrated and he’s only playing spider solitaire.

It’s hypothetical because time is a rare and precious resource for me right now. The only time I do have is when the baby is sleeping at night. But then I have the rest of them around. They all want to be in here watching TV, playing on the other computer, chatting and the like. I can write then, but it’s difficult to concentrate.

Am I noticing a pattern? The concentration part. I can write just about anywhere, but to be able to concentrate is another thing. I won’t be able to slip off into that zone. It’s a place I love to go when I’m writing. Incredible things happen there. The story tends to take place all on its own. I need do only the smallest thing, keep writing, to make it all happen. Anyway, bubby is really losing it now. Have to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home